You’ve probably heard of search engine optimization (SEO), which tries to get your website to show up higher in search engine rankings. But what is local SEO? While SEO is about optimizing websites, local SEO means optimizing for location. This is critically important for businesses with a physical location, whether you own a retail establishment or a service business. When you search for a local business on Google and a map comes up, you’re seeing how local SEO affects business rankings. Not ranking high on the map or not showing up at all? Keep reading to learn how to improve your rankings…
Make your Name, Address and Phone number (NAP) Consistent
How many places does your business name, address and phone number (NAP) show up online? Is it consistent across the Web? If Google sees a different address in some listings, you aren’t going to rank very high. Do you use a local area code (best), a toll-free number or a call tracking number (worst)? If you change your business name, address or phone number, it may impact your rankings for many months to come. Check your local listing on Google, Bing, and other local search engines. Be sure that your website itself reflects the same NAP as well! For local SEO, the most important is having your name, address and phone number (with local area code) in text on each page of your site.
Develop your Google My Business Page
Having a well-developed Google My Business page can improve how you show up in desktop and mobile search results. If you haven’t set one up or claimed yours, do it today, adding quality photos and filling in as much information as possible.
Get Good Citations
These are places around the Web where your business NAP is listed. Google is the most important one, but you should also think about places like YellowPages.com, Yelp, etc. And while it’s good to have lots of citations, I’d focus on quality over quantity — you want to be on the most important sites for your business category and, just like with Google, you should fill in as much information as possible.
Get Good Reviews
Hopefully you’re getting good reviews on sites like Google and Yelp. While there are various ways to encourage reviews, be sure to play by the rules of each site.
Local Schema Data added
Structured local schema data pairs your website name, business category, and location with a value that helps search engines categorize and index your content in a better way in the ‘map pack’ of search results. Think of this like optimizing your site with keywords . Schema.org is a project that provides a particular set of agreed-upon definitions for microdata tags but leave that to us to figure out what is best for your site.
As you can see, there are many components to local SEO. I hope this brief overview has given you some insights on how it differs from regular website SEO, and shown you a few ways to improve your own rankings.
If you are interested in having an expert do this for you, please check out our $350 Local SEO Package below and contact us. It includes 2 short consults, a local SEO report, create/optimize Google My Business page, add/correct 3 additional citations specific to your business category, updating website with proper NAP format, and consult on getting reviews and further SEO recommendations.
Below is the process for which we implement this package:
- Client must provide login information (by phone during a 15-minute discovery call) for Google Places account, and other citation accounts, or allow the creation of a new Google account. Login information for all new citations will be provided to the Client.
- Local SEO specialist will create (if it does not already exist) and optimize Client’s Google My Business page, add or correct three citations targeted to Client’s business category, check for and implement name/address/phone number (NAP) consistency on Client website, and provide a final report with further SEO recommendations.
- Local schema data will also be integrated for local businesses to optimize their map listings in the “map pack” telling them what type of business you are (category) as well as your location, and contact info (that should be consistent with what is listed in your website footer).
- A 30-minute review call will be offered after project is complete.
- If Client requests additional local SEO assistance then SEO Specialist and Client may pursue future work separate from Evolv and this limited package deal.
- Disclaimer: No one can guarantee you improved search engine rankings, although our local SEO package utilizes search industry best practices to increase the likelihood of improved rankings.