Well… the day has finally come – Mobilegeddon! We’ve been preaching the need for responsive mobile-friendly websites for a while now but now Google is forcing us all to actually GO THERE! As of April 21st, 2015 Google’s algorithms are now favoring sites that are “mobile-friendly” ONLY for those who are searching on their smartphone, therefore pushing sites that are NOT mobile-friendly down in the rankings. The reason for this? Well statistics say it all:
- As of 2014, 90% of American adults own a cell phone while 64% of American adults own a smartphone.
- As of 2014, 60% of internet access is mostly mobile.
- In 2015, internet access shows an increase of smartphone users to 80%, compared to desktop/laptop users at 91%.
- As of 2015, mobile and desktop users are at a tipping point globally where mobile users are now spending more of their time consuming digital media, mostly within mobile applications.
- As of 2015, Smartphone add-to-cart and conversion rates for ecommerce sites are much lower than for desktop because of the bad user experience for mobile devices. Thus the need to mobile optimization!
A couple things you should know:
- The site has to: load quickly, be easy to read (larger text vs. smaller), and adjust/respond to a smaller screen (vs. resizing down a static site into a small mobile window thereby forcing users to “pinch and zoom” in order to view).
- You don’t need to have a separate mobile-site, you can have an all-in-one RESPONSIVE site. Learn all about what makes a Responsive Mobile Friendly Website!
- The update will not affect results from desktop searches, only mobile searches
- Websites can upgrade to a mobile-friendly site at any time to improve their rankings. The algorithm tweaks will be rolled out over the course of a few weeks, so the changes might not immediately be noticeable anyway.
- Not all sites will be affected. Google ranks sites based on numerous criteria, of which mobile-friendliness is just one. The aim is to provide the most relevant results, even if it’s to a site that isn’t optimized for mobile.
You can test your site to see how you rank in mobile-friendliness here: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/
Get your responsive mobile-friendly website created soon!